After 13 months in Thailand, we’ve been back in New Hampshire, USA for four days. Here are five things we’ve been stoked about (skipping the obvious joy of being around family and friends):
- New clothes – We only went to Thailand with a total of two checked bags and two carry ons. Wearing those clothes time and time again for over a year got old. So did wearing shorts and T-shirts. Coming home to put on jeans and sweaters has been awesome.
- Fooood – Thai food for a year is not something we can complain about. It was great stuff. But coming home to stuff we hadn’t had in a year was pretty awesome too.
- Natural Beauty – Family and food were two great things I expected. But we were living on a tropical island and the last thing I thought of was the beauty of New Hampshire. Driving the back roads of NH, with roads carving through our thick forests, that’s been surprisingly beautiful. Add to that the colors of fall foliage and it’s really something.
- Speaking English Everywhere – I didn’t realized that I cared about a cashier speaking the same language as me, but apparently I do. It’s really nice to be able to have small talk with people throughout the day.
- Driving – This was another unexpected thing we’ve been enjoying. I absolutely loved driving around on a scooter in Thailand. Road rules are less strict and zooming through traffic jams rocked. However, driving New Hampshire’s winding back roads in a truck has a certain magic to it and cruising on the highway at a steady 65 mph without Phuket traffic jams has been nice. It’s hard to beat driving with good tunes.