Language schools are everywhere in Phuket and they are a big part of teaching here so it is important that you understand what a Language School is.
Language schools usually teach kids after school but they also teach adults. They are similar to a tutoring service but many language schools double as a “teacher placement agency”. If you don’t know what a language school is, here’s the boiled down summary:
- Language schools teach both kids and adults, but separately
- Lessons are usually an hour or a half
- Classes are usually between 4pm – 8pm
- Classes are 1 on 1 or may be a very small class of 2-3
- Some language schools double as an agency
- Agencies place teachers in schools on a contract basis. ELT and ECC both offer their own lessons and place teachers in contract jobs within Thai schools
- Most language schools pay 350/hr ($11 USD)
Kids take the language school classes because their parents want to get them ahead of the pack. It is also very popular for parents to enroll them for English certification test preparation. Adults take the classes if they own a small business or if it is a requirement for their jobs.
Agencies exist because Thai schools must have English teachers who are native speakers. However, the paperwork to hire foreigners is substantial and the schools don’t want to deal with it so they contract it out to language schools who already have a supply of English teachers.